Sunday, November 27, 2005

Shaking all over

Well our bit of excitement and in some cases hysteria for the week today, as a reasonably strong quake struck just off the coast of Iran.

The Weasel office got quite a rocking with most people just looking around wondering what the hell was going on, you can see why people often never seen to get under cover or out of buidings, it is more confusing in the early stages than scarey.

After weeks of the local papers stating that there will never be earthquakes in the UAE it comes as a reminder that buildings here have to be built to the second highest earthquake protection for a reason.

Another possibility however does not seem to be getting much attention, if this quake had been further offshore surely there is a possibility of a tsunami?
Now I know that the T things are created by specific plate action, usually an upshift under water, and to be honest I have no idea what type of fault lies off Iran, all this will com to light eventually, however one place I wouldn't want to be when the wave comes is a low lying artificial island offshore. Just a thought

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I have heard of quite a few comical encounters of what people did when the first tremors occurred. It ranges from going off to bed to packing sunblock (just in case). Hilarious.

But now that I think about it, it is pretty scary. No place is safe these days.

10:16 pm  
Blogger Luca Castelli said...

Hi,
my name's Luca and I'm looking for a UAE blogger for writing an article about Dubai for an italian magazine. Keefieboy of Adventures in Dubai told me you could be the right guy. Can you write me at lucacastelli@yahoo.it, so I explain you all the details?

Thanx

L

7:44 pm  
Blogger Tim Newman said...

Trust me as an ex-seismic engineer on this one, buildins in Dubai are not designed to withstand a serious earthquake, i.e. the 1,000 year and 10,000 year events.

The only buildings that are category 1 are nuclear installations and a handful of similar or military service buildings. As I've said here, the design of buildings in Dubai go against all I was ever taught about seismic engineering. I would need to see concrete proof that seismic hazards were taken into account anywhere in Dubai before I'd believe it.

2:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home