Sunday, October 02, 2005

Ramadan traffic is coming

I know we are not supposed to say this but frankly Ramadan is my least favorite time of year, many reasons (including 7pm opening ;¬) but mostly its the driving.
Dangerous is one way of putting it, carnage another, and it isn't just at iftar but frankly any time after midday.
So today Dubai police have publicised their, doubtless worthy, program to lower the death and injury toll. Unfortunately this will be as successful as last year and the year before that..with the horror that of course we are now still in summer, tempreture wise, making the effects of dehydration on drivers worse.
My first year here I saw a guy in a Mercedes pass out and drive into a concrete lamp post near Um al Quain, he only survived because Stuttgart used to make very strong cars.
Of course the only effective way they could combat the horrific driving (putting police in patrol cars and actually stopping the dangerous idiots ) is not an option that appears to be open to them.
So I will do what we all do and try to stay off the roads as much as possible, won't stop the accidents but hopefully I can avoid being in one.

2 Comments:

Blogger Keef said...

Ah, Melanie from the Alamo. Do I remember you?

10:23 pm  
Blogger Keef said...

Oops, sorry Mr Weasel, got distracted. Yes, you are right, Ramadan traffic is lethal. How and why people who may not have even had a glass of water for an entire summer day, never mind not eaten anything, think they are fit to drive is absolutely beyond me. I've seen plenty of nasty accidents while I've lived in Dubai, but tragically the worst ones are always in Ramadan.

10:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home