Sunday, September 25, 2005

IT friends in town

mmm Gitex - hype, sport and taxi horror.

Because of his job title, the Weasel is frequently mistaken for someone that :
a. Has control of huge IT budgets (he doesn't)
b. Has the faintest clue what most of the salesmen are rabbiting about
c. Gives a shit about anything but the free booze he is pouring down his neck at a prestigious rate in the fear of being unmasked.

I mean does anyone in Dubai really believe the fraudulent survey that I completed in a successful attempt to get invited to one of these bashes years ago? It seems they do as I still appear high on many of the invite lists - though the merge of Compaq did remove one particularity rich seam, and this year Sony are so not on my Christmas card list.
My old friends ITP are behind a lot of this I think, flogging off their mail lists but franky it only saves me having to try and blag my way in under my own steam.
The sad thing is of course that most parties are not worth the effort but still the sport of blagging demands that a cursory attendance is mandatory, complete with a regional sales director (compulsory) conversation that guarantees the invite next year, no business is ever done of course (see points above).
Pitiful really but at least I do get to catch up with some old friends from London tonight and until the weather cools a little there really isn't much else to do.
Attendance (probably with hangover) at show tomorrow.